Saturday, June 13, 2009

photos of the day - garden helpers


Tonight while I did my squat and weed and my husband filled the potato bags with yet MORE soil, my boys happily helped. This is their garden too, after all. Of course their favorite thing to do on a warm evening is fill buckets with water from the rain barrel (and run sprinting through the yard to pour into our potted plants and raised beds), and squirt fruit and veggies with the hose. They both ended up thoroughly drenched, but very happy.


The garden is starting to look like summer and we spent a bit of time this afternoon just soaking it up. We put up a mini kids volleyball net and the boys learned how to bump, dig, block and spike. They both love playing sports in our thin strip of lawn...and they also love harvesting with me each morning. This morning?


Lots of greens...mesclun greens, mustard greens, tah tsi mustard, spinach, sorrel, red leaf lettuce, kale and more. We also snipped a bunch of herbs - basil, savory, shisho and chives. Yum.

I took a lot of photos of what is happening in our garden...can't wait to share!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! amazing! it all looks fantastic. i wish i lived next door to you so that i could watch learn from the master gardener herself. can't wait to see the rest of your photos.

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see it!

Joy said...

mmmm...that looks fantastic, Denise! I'm sure your boys have lots of fun helping. :)

nettlejuice said...

The harvest looks beautiful.
I feel a garden update post coming on myself.

Tara said...

Your garden is lush and colorful!!

My husband is looking over my shoulder and said " Yum.... veg."

Angel Funk said...

what do you do with the shiso? it grows wild in my garden, i have so much of it!

tiff said...

you have turned your space into paradise...just lovely greens and flowers...and i love the rain barrel!

Lynch Family said...

Love the rain barrel! We harvested broccoli and the first of our peas (sugar and snow) today. We are also blessed with an AMAZING gardener as our neighbor at our community plot so we came home with gobs of dill and lettuce--we ate it all!

Hurrah for gardening, your pics are wonderful!

Pussnae said...

Those greens look so good-lucky you! Also Denise, I'd love to hear what you're doing for Earth Scouts. We're trying to start up an 8-12 year old group in the fall.

dawn klinge said...

Your garden looks fantastic! That's great that your boys love to help so much in the garden.

Linda said...

Your garden is looking beautiful, really inspiring!

Dawn said...

That looks fabulous!! and tasty too!

What sweet helpers, enjoy your week!

:)

mandaroo63 said...

Looks wonderful! You're gonna have some yummy flavored meals going on! I love the trellis.

TheOrganicSister said...

yum! just when i start to really want some greens they are out of season here. can you believe with all the seeds i got, i didn't remember malabar spinach for the summer! i cheated and bought dome organic greens from the store. who can blame me? ;)

~tara

sheri said...

What a lovely garden and splendid bounty! I love all the green. :)

Yarrow said...

Oh how beautiful! Denise you've done very well. Blessings.

jane said...

it looks wonderful!

STEPHANIE. said...

I am always so inspired by your garden and your photos. :)

Lisa said...

Denise, your yard is beautiful! I love the rain barrel, we need one!

Yummy greens.

Lisa :)