Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Just when we thought...

I thought maybe we made it through this cold bug - with the boys only having mild symptoms and I being the only one who was hit hard. G has barely even had sniffles--then this morning, here it was.

Coughing, wheezing, hard to breathe. This nebulizer works wonders though. For 2 years G would end up in urgent care/ER anytime he had an asthma reaction to a cold virus - it is NO fun riding in an ambulance with a blue toddler. But last April when we last had a cold bug in the house, for the first time ever G did not have to go to the ER - we had this machine and would repeat every so many hours, and he could breathe. There are many things we know to do now -- like to avoid crowds during this time of year, to wash hands often (and use our natural hand sanitizer often), avoid sick people, keep him inside when the air temp gets too cold, start using his inhaler as soon as we know he has been exposed to a virus, don't push it for the holidays (he was in the ER two years in a row on THX weekend - but not this year!) and we managed to make it 8 months without one cold or asthma attack - but the excitement of family and holidays and all of that just caught up to us, I think.

I am familiar with spending much of January inside at home, as G has been sick around the holidays every year, but I think we are more prepared this year and have a lot of fun crafts and cool projects to do! And with our cool air humidifier, good supplements and echinacea chews, I hope it will be done quickly.

14 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

A good example of why life was just not meant to be hectic. Hope everyone stays well for another eight months.


jodianderson.com

dawn klinge said...

Poor little guy. I hope he feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Poor baby!

Lizz said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry for you guys. Speedy healing again and again...coming from me.

We have strep throat at my house. With my kids not in school, the viruses still find us somehow.

World Wide Alternative said...

Oh the poor little bugger...
Hi! It's my first time here & you have a lovely blog.
May I add you to my links list so I can pop back later & play some more? Xxx

Tara said...

Sweet boy, I'm so sorry he is feeling poorly. Wishes for a quick recovery!

World Wide Alternative said...

Thanks for popping by Denise!
I hope your little G is feeling better...Xxx

Heather said...

sorry about your little guy! my four year old has asthma too (one time it landed him in the hospital for 11 days...) so i know how you feel. hope he gets over it soon! <3

tiff said...

poor little doodle...we hope he is feeling back to his energetic self soon!

Beo said...

Reading this brought back memories of our eldest (now 5) having surgery at 3 mo's at Childrens, and spending the next year on monitors due to his acute Laryngomalacia.

Very glad to see you finding ways to handle it so quickly. Darling boy!
-Rob

Beo said...

Reading this brought back memories of our eldest (now 5) having surgery at 3 mo's at Childrens, and spending the next year on monitors due to his acute Laryngomalacia.

Very glad to see you finding ways to handle it so quickly. Darling boy!

piscesgrrl said...

Aw poor kiddo. Hope he feels better soon - that picture just gets my mama-bear vibes going strong.

Will you be at the unschooling conference in January? I'm going!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

We've got it, too. But it is so different from when my 22 year old was a baby. The nebulizer means we can nurse colds at home. Going to Urgent Care or the hospital means inevitable exposure to worse things than the cold virus.

Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Before I was a mother, I never realized how strong life was, and how weak.